INFORM DOES have current and histories of PAWS scores. This is a site provided by the state for us to use to look at our students' scores. You can get to the site by going to: http://wde.edmin.com/
We will have MAP scores on it too, I believe, once we get them and do an upload. Please let me know if you can't get into your account. I think I can help. The "new" WedGate URL that we have been using does not work right now for some strange reason. You can get to the WedGate site by going to: http://wyoming.edgate.org. Inform can be found there too.
Document Cameras- When giving ideas for a the use of document cameras, I am very careful to make sure that if you, the teacher, have previously been doing the teaching through an interactive, sit on the floor, work together, type of way, please don't change! I think it is important not to give up these moments. The document camera is more for sharing with others. Don't be afraid to have the kids come up and use it. Things will happen, but I really like the thought of the cameras being a sharing tool and not just a lecture tool.
Let me know if I can help you with them. There are your building experts too. WESTSIDE-I do not have the West Side third grade document camera to you. They are here, but the carts are broken. Kathy is or did order some more. Let me know if you would like it without a cart.
ELEMENTARY TEACHERS: PROJECTION Kathy is ordering some longer monitor cables and splitters if you want to use the projections for showing video clips. We will need to figure out how to get extension cords for this too. Let me know if you are interested. I can talk to you about it.
I am putting emails or information sent to me regarding staff development on this blogger site.
http://washakie1wyoming.blogspot.com/ and on http://denisekd.blogspot.com/
BUT>>>
It is not working at school right now. I think there must be something stored in some cache on the network if that is possible. Something is stuck in the system anyway here at school. It works fine for me in other places. Grrr. If you need to read about Infinite Campus, MAP, etc. just check it out (at home)---it will be better when it is fixed in our district.
********************************************************************************
FYI: THOSE THAT ARE LEADING OR PARTICIPATING IN CHANGE
SKIP THIS PART UNLESS YOU ARE INVOLVED IN STAFF DEVELOPMENT OF SOME KIND.
This is researched-based and explains how staff development works best.
1. Teachers attend a training/staff development.
2. Teachers rehearse strategies IN WORKSHOP.
3. Teachers have the needed materials.
4. Teachers have planning time each week to design new lessons and instructional materials for integrating the new techniques.
5. Teachers apply the new strategies in their classrooms.
6. Teachers visit with each other, the trainer and/or the facilitator for three months following the workshop to talk about results and improvements that can be made.
7. Students begin to apply strategies independently.
8. Teachers use the new "stuff" at least three times a week.
9. Student achievement increases.
Things that aren't true about professional development:
· If educators attend a training, they will be able to implement what they have learned.
· If we improve the quality and/or the length of the session, educators will be better able to implement what they have learned.
· If educators do not implement what they have learned, they are resisting change.
· If we had more time and/or money for professional development, we would have better success.
· Learning occurs through the transmission of information.
A TRUE THING ABOUT LEARNING
Long-term learning--that which results in behavior changes, occurs at the level of beliefs and values and motivation rather than at the level of knowledge and skills.
Those of us who are training others can benefit by remembering that it is not always what we teach, but HOW we teach it.
Most of this is from JoEllen Killion's work with NSDC.
**************CHARTING YOURSELF********************
Can you tell what stages you are in with the Math program? Can you tell the stages you are in with Guided Reading or any other "something" new you are trying? (see below)
Typical Expressions of Concern about an Innovation
Stage of Concern
Expression of Concern
6. Refocusing
I have some ideas about something that would work even better.
5. Collaboration
How can I relate what I am doing to what others are doing?
4. Consequence
How is my use affecting learners? How can I refine it to have more impact?
3. Management
I seem to be spending all my time getting materials ready.
2. Personal
How will using it affect me?
1. Informational
I would like to know more about it.
0. Awareness
I am not concerned about it.
Levels of Use of the Innovation: Typical Behaviors
Levels of Use
Behavioral Indicators of Level
VI. Renewal
The user is seeking more effective alternatives to the established use of the innovation.
V. Integration
The user is making deliberate efforts to coordinate with others in using the innovation.
IVB. Refinement
The user is making changes to increase outcomes.
IVA. Routine
The user is making few or no changes and has an established pattern of use.
III. Mechanical
The user is making changes to better organize use of the innovation.
II. Preparation
The user has definite plans to begin using the innovation.
0I. Orientation
The user is taking the initiative to learn more about the innovation.
0 . Non-Use
The user has no interest, is taking no action.
From Taking Charge of Change by Shirley M. Hord, William L. Rutherford, Leslie Huling-Austin, and Gene E. Hall, 1987.
****
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower