Judy and I do a Kindle2 Interview
What is a Kindle2 and how does it work?
A Kindle2 is an electronic book that has the capabilities to download books to read. It is a very easy to use device. It is small, doesn’t weigh much, and books can be downloaded in under sixty seconds. It is fast and easy to order books. There is a large selection of books to choose from-245,000 of them. The font can be changed. I like that feature. Documentation says that it has a long battery life. The Kindle2 can store fifteen hundred books. The Kindle2 is all-around easy to use.
Why did you decide to purchase a Kindle2?
I would get new books and the kids wanted to read them, so I couldn’t finish a book. I have read more books in a shorter span of time than I could read in the past using the Kindle2.
Where did you get your Kindle2, and how do you order more books? I ordered mine through Amazon. I like their service. Books can be ordered using the Kindle2. You do not need a computer-just type the name of the book you want, buy it through Amazon, and you have it in a minute.
Did you look at other brands? Why did you choose a Kindle?
I chose a Kindle because I have an Amazon account. There are other options, but the cost wasn’t much different.
Talk about cost, if you would.
The Kindle2 costs $360. Books range from free to $9.99. Many of the free books are the classics.
Any problems?
I have had no problems.
How do you see Kindles being integrated in the classroom?
If we can get the purchase information blocked, I would like a classroom set. It will read books to you. There is a place to connect headphones. The voice that reads is of fair quality. It is possible to get subscriptions to newspapers and magazines. It appears that once you buy a book on one account, it goes to all Kindles on the same account.
Who would you recommend should buy a Kindle2?
I don’t know who wouldn’t like a Kindle2.
THE HP MINI NOTEBOOK
Jody Shares Information on the HP Mini Notebook
What is an HP Mini Notebook?
The HP Mini Notebook is a (very) small computer designed for "on the go" professionals and students who need good performance combined with excellent portability. The low-power Intel Atom processor lets the mini run cooler, and uses less power with improved battery life.
It weighs in at about 2.6 pounds, features a 10.1 inch diagonal scratch-resistant, ultra-bright screen, and an adult-friendly keyboard that is 92 percent of full size. This mini comes loaded with 1 G Ram, 160 GB hard drive with built-in "drive guard technology that instantly locks the hard drive when it senses sudden, and unexpected movements," two USB ports, a high-speed internet port, an SD card reader, expansion slot, headphone and microphone jacks, built-in wireless technology, an integrated VGA webcam for both still and video captured conferencing, and even a "secure-lock" port.
A wide variety of operating systems are available in both Windows XP and Vista home and professional versions.
What are features that you like about the HP NetBook? What will it do and not do?
Features:
Size and Weight make it super portable . . .
Battery Life: The 6-cell extended life battery was a huge selling point for me, and I wasn’t disappointed! The 6-cell configuration (optional, but worth the extra price) provides the user with several hours of working time. I ran mine from here to Salt Lake, was able to grade digitally-stored student assignments (my students submit their work for grading to a shared folder ). . . I downloaded these files to my Passport . . . connected it to the Mini’s USB port, and viola! It was paperless, and I never ran out of battery! I recharged it over night, showed off to family and friends the next day, and again graded digitally-stored papers the whole way home!
Ease of Use: I purchased the Windows XP Home version because it provided both familiarity and ease of use. I created two generic accounts . . . one for teachers, and one for students . . . making for easy checkout . . . and easy "tracking" of Internet History, etc.
Ultra-bright Screen: provides good resolution on both text and video.
What will it do?
The HP Mini was designed for traveling business professionals and students . . . it will do almost anything your home computer will do . . .
What won’t it do? Two things . . .
First, it doesn’t have a CD/DVD reader/burner . . . so loading software means you will need to download it with the wireless Internet feature . . . (or give it to Corry ) . . . and using it as a DVD player is out (which is actually a good thing when checking this out to students!)
Second, as there is no graphics accelerator . . . high-speed gaming is probably not an option . . . I don’t do gaming, so this wasn’t a concern for me . . . just remember . . . this computer was designed for WORK . . . not necessarily PLAY!
Did you look at other brands? Why did you choose HP?
I have looked at almost every brand of mini computer in multiple configurations this past year. I came close to buying an Acer over the TV this past Christmas (QVC can be pretty convincing after all!), but after handling one at Walmart, I knew it wasn’t for me. I just didn’t like it. The keyboard (okay for tiny fingers, but not for adults) and screen made it seem more like a toy computer than a professional one. It does get good reviews, though . . . and people report being satisfied with the Acer brand!
The HP laptops I have had have all been sturdy and reliable . . . we have a good history with them at the middle school . . . they just seem to be workhorses! I am happy with my choice!
Talk about cost, if you would.
I purchased the HP Mini 2140, Plain-Jane, with an extended 6-cell battery for $481 from CDWG. The battery I unpacked the box, plugged the battery in to the computer slot, charged it over night . . . and performed the set up and installation the next morning while I got ready for school! Set up was simple and fast . . . no stress . . . and it was up and running by the time I left for school.
Just for comparison purposes . . . I just (this minute) priced out the newly released Dell Mini 10 . . . it is nearly an exact replica . . . and comes in Alpine White, Cherry Red, Promise Pink, Ice Blue, Jade Green for an extra $35 . . . but only comes with a 3-cell battery. Dell’s base price was $449 . . . you can purchase an "extra" battery (problem with an "extra" battery . . . it needs to be connected to the computer to charge . . . which rather defeats the purpose) for $130 . . . Grand total price is $614 (color option added $35 to the overall price).
I think I will stick with CDWG . . . and its $481 price tag!
How do you see the NetBooks being integrated in the classroom? Are there any other ways you see teachers can use them in or out of school?
Netbooks . . . mini’s . . . are perfect for home-to-school or school-to-home portability, for student/staff Library checkout. Writing papers, doing research, creating PowerPoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets, Publisher documents . . . etc.
They will handle almost any homework assignment, provide wireless Internet access for the local coffee shops ( would be perfect for Saturday morning Math Café), great for kids traveling for sports and needing to do homework on the bus, would give coaches the ability to keep stats on the go, or even connect to a projector for play-back of sports videos.
For personal use, add a 3G network card and go wireless down the Interstate! Now THAT is surfing!
The excellent battery life makes them a good option for classroom "sets." I wish I could buy one for every one of our students . . . (can you spell TARP money, or grants.gov )
KIM WYMAN SPEAKS ABOUT TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION
Kim Wyman Interview: Technology Integration and ELL Learners
Kim, you have worked with technology at West Side School for many years now. What are some of your success stories? What have you tried that wasn't so successful?
Wow, let's see here...successes would include... training teachers how to use my web site, creation and updates of web site, media schedule to get everybody weekly access to the lab, integration of technology into the classrooms, collaboration and team-teaching with technology, supporting kids using technology to meet the needs of reading, writing, listening and speaking..
unsuccessful... ??? I measure everything in strides of success even if it's just a little step or leaps and bounds.
What are the advantages of using technology with ELL students?
Advantages with ELL students would include: accommodations for oral and written presentations, consistent language input at the comprehensible level, alternate ways to teach the same concept, visuals of new vocabulary, and interactive software that allows students to grow at a differentiated rate are some that I can think of off the top of my head...
What technology/strategies do you find most effective?
Effectiveness is determined by each student and their current level of language acquisition; no one piece of technology can be most effective for everyone.
What does the research say regarding technology and ELL students?
I am interested to investigate if using technology in the regular classroom will make an impact for ELL learners as well as other students. I am always looking for ways to incorporate technology to enhance what the content classroom teachers are covering. This is a challenge as Cummins, Brown, Sayers (2007) states, "Technological changes occurring almost daily have far outstripped the capacity of educators to integrate these technological tools into their classroom instruction" (p.205).
As Reza-Hernandez & Clifford (2003) stated, "LEP students will have opportunities and support to succeed when educators offer them opportunities aligned with all learners. Effective technology integration in the classroom is one of the tools that can promote and make such learning expectations a reality" (p. 4).
Cummins, Brown, Sayers (2007) reinforce the concept of diversity in education when they state, "…ny pedagogical framework that aspires to promote literacy and prepare students for a globalized Information Age economy must address issues of linguistic and cultural diversity" (p. 40). They go on to say, "The increase of cultural and linguistic diversity in schools has created pedagogical challenges and opportunities" (p. 40). Gay (2000) states that, "The close interactions among ethnic identity, cultural background, and student achievement (that is between culture and cognition) are becoming increasingly apparent. So is the transformative potential of teaching grounded in multicultural contributions, experiences, and orientations" (p. 25). Technology is an avenue teachers can use for culturally responsive teaching.
Honey, M., Culp, K. M., & Spielvogel, R. (2005) included implementation pitfalls by saying, "Educators are not immune to the technology hype that rages all over the country. The pressure to get online or to give students access to the newest technology can be strong" (p. 18). Implementing technology effectively does not happen overnight. It takes time to learn effective integration.
No matter what the precedent set is for integration of technology, there is always room for improvement. Cummins, Brown and Sayers (2007) concur that, "…echnology can play a
highly significant role in promoting literacy among all students and particularly among low-income and minority students" (p. 91).
Radencich (1998) goes on to say, "Teachers of the new millennium who interject technology advances have the potential to dramatically influence multicultural education for literacy" (p. 187).
In analyzing data, I wanted to look at all angles and synthesized how much of the enthusiasm was due to something new. Honey, M., Culp, K. M., & Spielvogel, R. (2005) stated, "…eachers’ first technology projects generate excitement but often little content learning" (p. 18). I was able to negate this direction of thought with the knowledge that the students had been in the lab throughout the year and technology in the content area was not new to them.
You work with classes in the computer lab. What do you find that helps make this successful?
Success is determined by engagement, student responses, and preparation (to align classroom content into lab sessions to reinforce what has already been learned or introduce a new standard, goal or topic of study).
How do you design your lessons?
Lessons are designed as mentioned above w/ consistent communication with classroom teachers and integration of classroom content into lab sessions.
Do you have any concerns or worries about technology in our schools? If so, what are they?
It is important to make sure to update computers in classrooms, give all teachers equal access to technology in their rooms and in the lab, continue to do a great job like Denise in helping teachers integrate technology into their curriculum.
What do you see coming, as far as technology that you are excited to happen? I'm excited about everything in technology. I see students doing more and more with technology for everyday assignments and I'm really excited about the possibility of getting a new lab in the '09-'10 school year.
Any advice for teachers that are just beginning to use technology in their classrooms? Is there a good way to start?
My advice is to dive in! If you are hesitant, make your first couple of technology projects in collaboration with others. This usually boosts your self-confidence and readies you to make the journey into the unknown a little easier. Don't worry if you fail. Teachers are flexible and if your organized (back up plan), something good will always come out of the situation even if you don't think so in the moment. Be able to give yourself time to reflect on the technologies you use and make this a reflexive experience. What worked? What didn't? Was the outcome expected? How did the students feel about the lesson? Did you ask them? Were the students able to share their experiences? What partnerships can you form in your building to try new technologies? Think ahead. Be confident. Smile...it's not going away.
Technology Email Survey
What IS going on in our Elementary Schools and Middle School?
Question 1: What new or old technology has you singing its praises?
Power Point, I use it for every chapter and often multiple times with a chapter. –Joe
Love PowerPoint and InFocus machines-Kristen
I really would not know. I would like to have more technology in the music room. –Wendy
Smart Ideas, Clicker 5, PolyVision Board, Web Sites, Movie Maker, Photo Story, projectors, H:drive, memory sticks, YouTube, Skyping, educational partnerships, video, Google Earth and more!-Kim
Computers!!!!! Internet, document camera, cameras, color printers, Neos, smart boards, email, software, Starfall, Airwriter, cell phones-Mary Ann
I love the PolyVision board.-Nicole
The media center, with the ability to make movies, trailers, and photo albums. This is really interesting and can be used in any class. -Jenny
The computer really has saved me time doing IEPs the last two years. The cell phone used for emergencies gives me a safer means for hunting alone. I would like to learn how to use a GPS.-Fred
Mini Notebook/Netbooks, Texting, twittering, blogging. I-Phone-Jody
We are going to make the book trailers using Microsoft Movie Maker. You can explain it all since you know about it. -Beth
I like the projector, document camera, and even the old overhead projector.- Chris
Question 2: What new or old technology do you wish would go far, far away to infinity and beyond?
Denise will paraphrase a bit here. Some are finding Infinite Campus difficult, there, I said it.
VCRs - but not before I can convert all my favorite science videos into DVDs-Kristen
Taking pictures with a cell phone.-Fred
I used my SmartBoard for a couple of years, but found it hard to have your back to the students, so I've gone back to the OH.-Fred
Line dependent Internet . . .Jody
The old printer under the countertop in my room-Barb
Question 3. If your principal were to say to you this week, "We have some new technology coming up next week." What are the first thoughts/words that come to your mind?
Cool! What now? Rich is always coming up with some great technologies for us.-Kristin
Will this help us do our work better or will it be something that is not used because of its complexity?- –Joe Winkler
I hope it's something to do with my subject area. Maybe a computer music program??-Wendy
Yeah! I love technology!-Kim
I would be excited to get my name on the list. –Mary Ann
I would like to use an Airliner instead of the overhead.-Fred
You're kidding right. Besides, I'm certain it would overload the bandwidth and create havoc.- Barb
Oh great, how many inservices to learn this?-Jenny
A little overwhelmed with what we already have on our plate.
Great, can I be the first to try it out?-Nicole
Cool! -Jody
Question 4 If your principal were to say to you this week, "We have some new technology for next year." What are the first thoughts/words that come to your mind?
Now I know what we should be having a workshop on the first two days of school next year. –Joe
Why do we have to wait until next year? Why can't we have it NOW!!??? –Kristin
What is it? Can I get it earlier? What grade levels does it apply to? Will teacher training be needed? –Kim
Why wait for next year?-Mary Ann
Airliner for teaching math.-Fred
Fabulous! Count me in!-Nicole
Airliner when it works. responders are wonderful for those assessments.-Barb
What is it and will- it make my job easier and me more effective and help students really gain understanding?-Barb
Wow, that will be great and I can learn it before it gets here.-Jenny
Why do we have to wait?-Jody
I can deal with that.-Chris
Question 5 What is your favorite technology quote?
"How much does that thing cost?" Said to me, many times when my kids wanted to purchase some technology. –Joe
This is what I like to tell people: Technology is great, when it works!-Kristin
Always changing, never staying, please keep up.-Kim
Computer illiteracy-Fred
If you can dream it, you can do it!-Nicole
"A computer is only as intelligent as its operator!" -Anonymous
"Your computer didn't do it . . . you did it!"-Anonymous
I wish women were like computers.-Chris (I am going to let you ask Chris for further details. I am leaving this one alone. I think he means he wishes they were as of high quality and as reliable!)
"Our world is in a tech. frenzy and if we don't jump on board, then our kids will be missing out. It becomes our obligation to use the latest tools to engage, guide, and challenge our students! In a click of a button we are connected to the whole world which completely can change the dynamics of teaching!" -Tanya